Sunday, December 21, 2008

Epiphany at the Atlanta Airport

Epiphany: a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

Around Covecrest, Danielle is known for her epiphanies, and I love her even more for them. She is so sincere and excited whenever she discovers something new in her faith or rediscovers something she already knew. You can't watch the expression on her face as whatever it is dawns on her, without having a deep respect for the faith she has and her openness to God's spirit working in her life.

So naturally, I thought of her as I sat in the Atlanta airport fighting back tears, knowing that my expression must be similar to hers in those moments. I had been reading Radical Hospitality, a book that we missionaries were given by Chris, and with everything else that we've been doing at Covecrest I hadn't had a chance to start it until this week.

Radical Hospitality is based on the Rule of Benedict and focuses on Benedictine hospitality, which is what the Covecrest Rule of Life consists of as well. So as I was reading, I realized more and more the importance of the way of life I am already living. Most of the things the book talks about are things I already knew- we live them every weekend, every time someone comes to visit us. But reading the words, it struck me in a way that it hasn't before: I am a missionary, and I am called to be hospitable, truly hospitable, to everyone I come into contact with. That's big! Really big, really really big. I mean, wow. How amazing is that!

So I dedicate this blog in honor of Danielle, for whose many epiphanies I am very grateful. :)

2 comments:

mamacita said...

I can see her face during one of her "epiphany" moments!

Danielle said...

colleen, that is so awesome!
ah i love epiphany moments :) i wish i could have been in the airport with you for this one.

dang girl, we should have a talk about that radical hospitality stuff when we get back (and one of us isn't silent...)